Saturday, February 6, 2010

Ladies, Please Remain Seated for the Duration of the Performance

Last night, I went to a bar in Jaksa, which is a street in central Jakarta where expats and locals co-mingle. I managed to stay at the bar until 4:30 a.m.--which is the latest I've been out so far--and I had a really good time.

I left my friends behind at 4:30, because I was fading. The cab ride home took about twenty minutes and it was a struggle to stay awake. I must have started to fall asleep at one point because the cab driver said something to me that I didn't understand. Then he laughed and I think he said, "Tidak tidur," which I think means "no sleeping." He probably thought I was going to pass out in his cab and I didn't have the words to tell him I was sleepy as opposed to ready to pass out from too much alcohol.

In any case, the beer was cheap, the music was great, and it's a Cheers environment where everybody there knows everybody else. My favorite thing about it was the sign above the toilet in the ladies room, which read, "Ladies, please remain seated for the duration of the performance." Heh. I've never thought about peeing in theatrical terms before. Now that I have, I might start taking a bow after I flush.

1 comment:

  1. Keep writing, I love reading these :) Makes me feel like I am there (a little).
    P.S. I am reading Mists of Avalon and it is awesome :)

    ReplyDelete